Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Canning

After talking about it for a few months, I decided to teach myself how to can jam/jelly/preserves. I got a book from the library, bought the supplies from Wal-mart (a water-bath canner, jars, jar lifter, funnel, and pectin), and went to work. The strawberry jelly came out great! All of my jars but one sealed (which of course we ate right away), and it didn't take too long. It took me a few hours of constant stirring, watching, slicing, and cleaning, but it was very doable even with a toddler clinging to my leg.

Cleaning the jars


Mama's helper


Yummy!

Sorry there aren't any pics between cutting fruit and filled jars--it's pretty fast-paced so this novice didn't have time to take any shots!



Very satisfying :)

1 comment:

  1. Am I the only one who is completely amazed at the progress you've made in the kitchen???? You are so great, Linds! The jelly looks yummy :) Makes me wanna grab a pack of crackers and fly right over there!

    ReplyDelete